Just west of the Navy Yard Broad Street entrance is Quarters A, the Navy Yard’s oldest building. Built in 1874, it is a three-story, Italian Villa-style, white painted brick house for the Navy Yard’s civil engineer. From this building, the Navy civil engineer directed the dredging of the Reserve Basin in League Island’s back channel and the construction of a causeway extending Broad Street to the island. A street grid was established and buildings were grouped and built according to Navy department organization.
Archive for month: November, 2017
After tomorrow, the Navy Yard’s famous #lunchtrucklineup program concludes for 2017 and will return in the spring. Until then, check out seven great places at the Navy Yard to satisfy your lunchtime needs!
The Navy Yard Running Club (NYRC) is a diverse group of people who meet once a week for a run around the Navy Yard. The running club welcomes runners of all levels, and is made up of a mix of Navy Yard employees, neighbors from South Philly, and beyond! NYRC is led by dedicated volunteers like Brittney Paye, who loves to share her passion of running with others.