On May 23, 1943, the USS New Jersey was commissioned into the United State Navy at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. The New Jersey is the longest, fastest, most decorated battleship in U.S. history. The only ship to have served in World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, and Persian Gulf War. She was first commissioned here at the Navy Yard in 1943 and last decommissioned in 1991. In 2002, New Jersey opened as a museum on the Camden, New Jersey waterfront.
Paying homage to the long-lasting history USS New Jersey has to the Navy Yard, a 16″/50 caliber Mark 7 gun barrel — originally installed on USS New Jersey at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard on February 1943, now rests on the northwest corner of the Marine Parade Grounds along side Broad Street & Intrepid Avenue.
On May 23, 2018 we were joined by the Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial, U.S. Navy, City of Philadelphia, and PIDC to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the USS New Jersey’s first commissioning and the official dedication of the fully restorated 16″/50 caliber Mark 7 gun barrel at the Navy Yard.
The ceremony was held in two parts, first on the forecastle (forward deck) of the Battleship NJ, that featured key remarks from regional dignitaries and USS New Jersey veterans, and then, a second ceremony was held at the Navy Yard celebrating the gun barrel dedication.