Built in 1942, and resting in the core of the Navy Yard Historic District, the Chapel is a fitting place to honor the memory and promote the legacy of four of the nation’s most revered brothers in arms.
Established in 1871, the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard (PNSY) was a place of production and innovation where naval vessels were constructed, repaired, and maintained in one of five dry docks. Read more
Workers at The Navy Yard didn’t always spend their lunch breaks walking around the Marines Grounds in pursuit of the perfect food truck or relaxing in a hammock at Central Green. During World War II, the Philadelphia Navy Yard Development Association boosted morale and production by organizing lunchtime entertainment. The Association created the Navy Yard Band and invited the music director of the Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy, to conduct its first concert. These lunchtime shows also included performances by Judy Garland, Esther Williams, and John Wayne.
Running alongside Broad Street and adjacent to Buildings 100 and 101 is the 8-acre, grassy Marine Parade Grounds, which holds an interesting piece of Naval history. Many historians say that the Marine Parade Grounds is the birthplace of naval aviation. Read more